The Bi-partisan lie of John Boehner, Rep. Dan Boren and Jon Huntsman…
Lie: The Keystone Pipeline will create 20,000 or more jobs and increase American energy independence
Truth: The Keystone Pipeline would create about 5000 jobs and much of the oil would actually be exported
The U.S. State Department claims that the keystone pipeline would create 5,000 direct US jobs over a 2 year period.
TransCanada (the company proposing to build the pipeline running from Canada to the US) claims that building the Keystone pipeline would create 20,000 direct jobs over a 2 year period.
Needless to say, many politicians (largely Republican but some Democrats are complicit here as well) have run with TransCanada’s, with the misguided assumption that these would be 20,000 permanent US jobs (when in fact, TransCanada’s numbers include jobs in Canada).
What’s more is the pipeline may actually destroy more jobs than it creates (one of the most common tricks/fallacies in estimating job creation for a certain project is ignoring the jobs it may destroy).
- Keystone pipeline: How many jobs it would really create
- Pipe Dreams: Jobs Gained, Jobs Lost by the Construction of Keystone XL
- Key Facts on Keystone XL
- Pipeline Climate Disaster: The Keystone XL Pipeline and Labor
- Keystone pipeline jobs claims: a bipartisan fumble
- TransCanada agrees to re-route Keystone pipeline